My 26th was the best birthday I've had in a while. Actually, last Sunday was better than the day of. You see, on Wednesday, I had to get a flu shot. The first flu shot I've ever had in my life. But the day wasn't all that bad: we had a BBQ for lunch at the shop, and I brought a pie from the commisary for all the guys, and our team won our first play-off flag football game. Fun stuff.
But Sunday WAS better. I had lunch at the Belschner's like I usually do, but this time they had some interestingly familiar food on the table. Yes, indeed. They had gone behind my back and sought out from my sister, Rebekah, the recipe for my family's "chicken-broccoli-and-rice" casserole! And to top it all off, they got the recipe for strawberry shortcake, too! Not the kind using angel food cake or pound cake, but the best kind of all: big ol' bisquits smothered with fresh strawberries and home-whipped-cream! And Breyers vanilla ice cream! I just had to admit(not exactly reluctantly, mind you) that it was the best meal I had had since coming to Germany. Now, thinking about it, I think it was the best meal I'd had away from home. The cook definitely did those recipes justice.
After the feast, the Belschners and the other guests actually had birthday presents for me! Like I was turning 6, not TWENTY six. Shocking, what! Anyway, along with the gifts came a composition which you might say sound a bit Tolkienesque. Well, the article is a wild attempt to describe-of all people-me! But fear not, that article is forthcoming.
To sum it up, it almost felt like I was back home. Ahhhh, yes. God is so marvelous. He humbles me every day.
But what's it like to be twenty-six years old, you might ask. Ummmm.... Dunno. Almost the same as when I was 25 and 364 days old. Except a little different. Duh.
Thursday, October 27, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
PRAISE THE LORD! I am so glad you had a great birthday. I am jealous of the strawberry shortcake, of course. What would it be without the HUGE biscuits like Grandma made? Did you have whipping cream *and* ice cream?
Seriously, bro, I've been missing you and your quiet strength. Don't change too much before I see you next, okay?
We love you to pieces. (the kids too, since they know exactly who their "Uncle Nathan" is)
Well.....where is it?...you know, the bit on the "sounds a bit Tolkienesque".....? Love to see it! Glad your birthday was great stuff!! :) Sorry we missed your phone call Sunday--we were at the Reformation dinner/program down on the Island. Was great! Love you lots....missing you lots, too!
Feliz Compleanos! Sorry for the punctuation error--I don't remember how do that...
However...
I a excessively glad to hear that your birthday was so very wonderful. My dear boy, we really must have a celebration when you come in January. My heart is quite set on it!
Post a Comment