Sunday, May 14, 2006

I Deserve a Good Knock Upside the Head!

Yes indeed I do! It's a bit shameful to delay posting at least an update for so long. Grrr...

But anyway, some news:

I'm in Bosnia, participating in a NATO communications interoperability exercise called "Combined Endeavor". Bosnia, even with all its 750,000 to 1,000,000 anti-vehicle and anti-personnel mines is actually quite beautiful. But we haven't been allowed off base yet. That happens Tuesday for the Sarajevo cultural tour. In the meantime, until late May, I'll be working 7am to 7pm, 7 days a week. Sometimes we get off work early, and I was able to go to chapel service this morning, so it's not so exhausting. Oh, and we have to walk everywhere: to work, to chow, to the Irish pub, to the cleaners, etc. But come late May, it'll be back to the daily political scene of the 1st Combat Communications Squadron. At least here in Bosnia I'm doing what I've been trained to do. For the most part.

Yeah, the chaplain's views regarding predestination and perseverance of the saints seems to be a little arminian. I think. You see, he talked about Augustine, Calvin and the scripture proofs for predestination, but he went on to say that this doctrine is "problematic". Then he mentioned a couple of passages that sound like they explain the ability of a christian to backslide to apostacy, but I don't think he quite understands them correctly. How does one go about discussing doctrine with a Lt Col?

But hey, it was good as well. I walked in, and there were four people singing from a booklet. Well, naturally I joined in. But what I didn't know was that they were the "choir" practicing for the service. And after they heard me sing, they sort of conscripted me for membership. I'm grateful for what appears to be a way to minister, however small. Yeah, it'll only be for two more Sundays, but thank God for His blessings.

1 comment:

Rebekah said...

Thats one of the elements I love about you Nate--your impulsiveness. Sounds like yet another exciting adventure bro!