Dogs are so great. I really mean it. But then, of course, ya know there was that time when...
Yeah. I'm learning that I wish I had learned to take care of animals a long time ago. It teaches responsibility, patience, resourcefulness,(awfully big words, I know) and a few other valuable character qualities.
For real, I'm house/dog-sitting for a family from my church here in Germany while they are on leave in the states. Their "nice big house" comes with: a yard to take care of, dishes to clean, a Springer Spaniel, and a bath tub. Ya know, normal every day life kind of stuff. Oh, and a case of schwarzbier (black beer). Doesn't taste too bad, really. I aughta put it in a mug, though. Tomorrow I plan on raking the leaves before I take Isaak for a walk. Isaak's the dog's name. I haven't exactly been given the task of doing yard work, but I might as well try to keep my friends in the good graces of their neighbors. Around here they tend to form opinions based on what your yard looks like. Worse than in Lynden. Oh, well.
Life in the Air Force is going OK. I'm learning my job, which is a good thing. But more exciting, I get to volunteer for fun stuff, like what I just got back from last week. You know that Combat Readyness Course/mobility school I was going to attend a while ago? Well, I finished that class and recently got the opportunity to be part of OPFOR(opposing force) for this most recent class, which included several people from my shop. Fun stuff all through. We help train the students through enacting a wide variety of senarios. We played the part of protestors, terrorist victims, terrorists, drunks, starving farmers, and all to train the students how to react and deal with whatever they might encounter wherever they might be deployed. I had a great time, as did everyone else. We all learned a ton.
But I'm glad to be back "home". I never like missing a church service, especially one where the Word is faithfully preached, and where the people are so much like family to me. God has been so gracious to me. Praise the Lord. I'm listening to Handel's Messiah at the moment. I do believe that it will never cease to be, at least in my mind, the most marvelous piece of music ever written by a mortal man on this earth.
Well, until next time.
Monday, October 10, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
wonderful to hear from you again Nathan!
I thought you tonight actually because we had our first Messiah rehearsal and Mark wasn't there either so I was looking around thinking of the missing faces and you came to mind. Glad to hear the music hasn't left you though you aren't with us.
You know I am not the military type but I always thought those sorts of training opportunities you mentioned would be very intersting. I have a friend who has done some of that sort of stuff, and survailence, following people so they could try and loose them, etc. with the CIA and I really would love to try that sort of thing some day. It really facinates me. I guess its kind of like drama and acting in some respects and I have always been pretty good at that so maybe that's why. If it were real life I don't think I would quite so keen on it, you know where people are actually chasing me with loaded guns...not exactly my cup of tea!
Take care...
Oh Nathan my boy--I am delighted to hear that you have found a place for yourself in the church there. And it seems that military life agrees with you--am I right? Nevertheless, we miss you in a humongous way. Can't wait to see you in January!
Lovings~Beka
What?! You are going home in January?! You are going to fly through NY, right? Seriously, Nate, I don't think we can make it to WA this winter. Because of our previous experiences with flying cross-country, i.e. getting stuck in an ice storm one year and getting the flu the next, Ben made me promise not even to ask this year! I will soo miss seeing you, though. Tell you what: want me to be your travel agent again? I just might find something that goes through here, okay?
I am very glad that you are safe and doing well. We have been praying that you would be fed and uplifted in your church there and that you would find true fellowship with the believers.
Love you, bro.
Which recording of 'The Messiah' do you listen to? The John Elliot Gardiner with the counter-tenors is the best. Glad to hear you're doing OK. I hope you've got someone sending you sermon CD's!
Regarding sermon tapes: you can hear Ben's on sermonaudio.com. He has started a series in Titus. Good stuff!
PS: Glad you like your music.
Post a Comment