Monday, October 31, 2005

My Birthday Present:

In a cement dorm, there lived a Reimers. Not a first-born, cocky, self-confident Reimers, full of lists of goals and objectives for his life, nor yet a last-born, lackadaisical, let life hit ‘em Reimers with no direction, gumption, or gale; it was a Nathan Reimers, and that means whimsical.

He has a perfectly round head with a button nose growing stubbornly out of the center of his face. On his head he grows very little hair, and even when this hair persists in growing against his will, he promptly cuts it all off with a razor or any other sharp object just short of a scimitar. He has a well-tuned bass that he likes to sing in when he walks about or sits down. Due to his Reimersness, you are apt to find him always humming a tune, particularly the oratorios of Handel.

This Reimers is a very far-from-home Reimers, and his name, as I mentioned earlier, is Nathan. The Reimers have lived in Lynden, Washington for time out of mind, but this particular Reimers up and joined the Air Force and left Lynden behind. Behind, in a manner of speaking only, for he always carried large particles of home with him wherever he went.

Given his Reimers upbringing, Nathan has a great propensity to read things aloud to whomever happens to be about. This condition (commonly known as Accidental Reading, not to be confused with the much graver Occidental Reading which has to do with reading Asiatic languages aloud) has never been successfully treated (beyond the traditional approach which is to just sit down and listen until the person goes hoarse. This might take awhile given the Reimers’ vocal training.)

Reimers share a inevitable quest for learning. Therefore, Nathan might not know what he wants to do in the long run as far as how to make money; but he has pockets full of lists of things he wants to learn: Russian, Bagpipes, French, and probably even Irish dance.

He has an aversion to mushrooms and frowns on the day that they grace his platter. His enculturated preference lies in the pickled category. Rumor has it that Nathan considers dill pickles a meal all by themselves.

He’s quick to lend a hand. Whipping out his Gerber with the speed of a medieval swashbuckler, he will break whatever it is that has been bothering you to have fixed. Sheepishly, he’ll smile at the raw brute of his young strength symbolized in the broken pieces scattered about his Gerber, and privately wonder if maybe something is needed in some situations besides untempered, masculine force. He pushes the question to the back burner to stir up later.

And if ever you need clarification on characters and lineage of Middle Earth, Nathan, the walking resource of Middle Earth, will readily assist you. As a matter of fact, he lives in a dwarrowdelf. A dwarrowdelf? What’s that? Well, a dwarrowdelf is the name in the Common Speech for the mansions of Khazad-dûm. Actually, Dwarrowdelf is an Anglicism for Phurunargian. And that’s where the real Nathan Reimers lives.

So that begs the question. Does that mean Nathan is really a dwarf? Well, perhaps an overgrown, skinny dwarf. That is possible given the terrain and his near ancestor’s habit of living above ground. He certainly has less hair than your typical Middle Earthen dwarf, but it is possible that Nathan Reimers is the Modern Earth dwarf. If you’ve seen him whip out his Gerber, you will cock your head and weigh the probability as you envision an axe in its place. He is rather heavy-booted like his ancestors who traipsed so clodd-footedly through Mirkwood many years ago. If you’ve seen his appetite as he devours a warm meal, the evidence will tip the scale even further. And if you hear him tell stories and sing songs, you’ll pause to consider that maybe the dwarf blood might have finally overcome its animosity toward the elves (or perhaps the hobbits) and intermarried in this Reimer line. For there is something altogether uncanny about these two traits coming together so unclashingly in Nathan Reimers. How could such a man come from the dwarrowdelves of Khazad-dûm? This is uncertain, but some things cannot be proven scientifically. Some things live on the dawn of our understanding. Yet even there, though they escape our finite perception, they are, nonetheless, real.

Oct. 26, 2005

T

16 comments:

Mark said...

YEAH!!! It's about time you posted it! I love it.

Joshua said...

Irish Dance and the Bagpipes indeed! If you do pursue them I will have to add you to my hero list. Would it be possible to play the bagpipes while performing an Irish dance?

I too share in your aversion to fleshy fungi and frowns.

Rebekah said...

I am overwhelmed by the coolness of this post! WHO wrote that? You? That is...fantastic!

Rebekah said...

By the way: what is a Gerber? Oh, wait, I think I just remembered...or not. Is it sorta like bear jaws...or was that claws?

Anonymous said...

All I can say is OH MY GOSH! That was beyond words cool! Whoever wrote that not only perfectly blended wit, originality, and humor, but pretty much nailed you completely. Amazing!

Jackie

Nathan said...

Unfortunately, I can't claim authorship. Hence the new Title.

But, yeah! I think it's awesome, too! I'll pass on all your oohs and ahs to the author. Hooah?

Crystal said...

That was great! Even though I don't know you really well I could still picture you completely as I read it! I loved the part about Reimers vocal training...how very true. :-) and I shall have to add "Reimersness" to my vocab for later use.

Rebekah, A Gerber is a silver, multi-purpose tool often sheathed in a black case, secured with a snap and carried on the belts of many handy, always prepared for anything, souls...if I have my tools right. One of those things no one should be without, unless you have a propensity of hurting yourself with tools that is. Then you best leave it on the shelf because you have a multitude of options for damage with this wonderful implement. LOL

Kristi said...

I, Queen Kristiana, hereby award this post a double five star! Splendid vocabulary, intriguing biography, and altogether a fine piece of literature!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic! I closed my eyes and peered through round doors to see you anew. It's a little bit ironic (don't you think) that I wrote mine a little elfen (along the lines of The Silmarillion) though I'm short and hairy, but you wrote yours along Hobbit lines, and you're tall and slim. Funny, huh?! Anyway, great short.

Rebekah said...

Almost a month later...

there must be something worth chronicling in your life...

Even if its the count-down till your're home:

23 days!

Nathan said...

Patience, my child. All will come to pass in due time...

Kristi said...

Why do the dates print that way on your blog? 30/11/05 ?! Is it because you're in Europe?
Just curious

Raphael said...

Hi Nathan! ... some impressive prose.

Only, I don't see the connection of baby food (Gerber).. and I have to admit I make fun of the bagpipes at every opportunity. :)

So much for a first post eh? ;) See you soon!

Nathan said...

Hahaha, Raph. Gerber MULTIPLIER, ya know?
Bagpipes are one of the most fantastic instruments in the world!

Brandy said...

that was...um, educational, amusing, VERY well written :) lol.
You should try Scottish Folk Dancing sometime, it's the best ever!

seeya'round, Brandy

Nathan said...

Ya know Brandy, that sounds like a really good idea.